[tex-live] w32transplant beta

T T t34www at googlemail.com
Wed Nov 17 00:26:25 CET 2010

On 16 November 2010 18:13, Lars Madsen <daleif at imf.au.dk> wrote:
> Hi list
>
> my first version of w32transplant is available via
>
> http://home.imf.au.dk/daleif/tmp/w32transplant/

Nice.  Thanks.

> There seems to be a slight issue with the general TL uninstaller, on several
> occasions it has left files and directories behind. (observed with both the
> uninstaller istalled by w32transplant and with the one installed by the net
> installer).
>
> On at least two occasions said that texmf-dist/bibtex/bib as not empty, it
> was empty after closer inspection later on. And several more examples. There
> were more example of these non-empty folder messages.

No idea why.  Did you have by any chance the explorer open on one of
these directories?

> BTW: in the command prompt where  w32transplant is running, what is the best
> methond to write a message to the user? I'd like to write something like
>
> "Integrating transplanted TeX Live installation, this may take a little
> while, please wait"

This is what I used in the batch script for infrastructure update:

  echo DO NOT CLOSE THIS WINDOW! >con
  echo TeX Live infrastructure update in progress ... >con

Redirection to >con makes sure that the output will appear in the
console window even if you redirect the batch output.  You may
additionally want to change the window title.

> BTW2: I assume the uninstaller is using the TLPDB to know which files to
> remove. How can we add files to this? Such that if for example one added
> w32transplat to TL before creating the donor ZIP, then one could get the
> uninstaller to remember to remove it if the user wanted to uninstall TL
> later on.

It doesn't, it just deletes main texmf trees one by one.  See for
details tlpkg/installer/uninst*.bat after creating the uninstaller.
If you put your scripts in TL root, they won't be removed
unfortunately (create_uninstaller in TLWinGoo.pm has a hardcoded list
of files/dirs to remove).

Cheers,

Tomek