[tex-live] Update all installed failed

T T t34www at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 16 12:40:15 CET 2010

On 16 November 2010 03:56, Norbert Preining <preining at logic.at> wrote:

> Tomek, nice to hear from you, but please don't waste your time.

Yes, I'm back :) but only virtually and with little time for real work
ATM apart from fixing critical bugs.  Detecting running apps is not
really critical, but I would be useful though (I forgot to close TW
before update a couple of times too!).

> I guess the best option is to simply tell users on Windows to
> close all applications *EVERY* time a .ARCH package is updated (ie

It would be annoying to have a pop-up every time you update regardless
of whether it's needed or not.

On 16 November 2010 03:57, Norbert Preining <preining at logic.at> wrote:
> On Mo, 15 Nov 2010, Zdenek Wagner wrote:
>> Just an idea: if you try to open tex.exe in the append mode and it
>
> Do you suggest to do that with *each*and*every* file before unpacking
> the tar file? Puahahhhhhhhh that will take ages and kill Windows
> for sure.

I fear the same.

> Restricting it to .exe files *could* help, but also .dll, .bat, and
> actually anything that can be opened by asome applicaton, so *every* file.

I would say it should be enough to limit this to interactive apps only
(dviout, ps_view, texworks).  These are the most likely to cause
troubles like this.

Cheers,

Tomek