[tex-live] TeX Live installation tools

Lars Madsen daleif at imf.au.dk
Tue Nov 16 12:26:52 CET 2010

T T wrote:
> On 16 November 2010 10:09, Lars Madsen <daleif at imf.au.dk> wrote:
>> T T wrote:
>>> From install-tl.  There is currently no tlmgr interface to do it.

>>> I have that on my TODO (among other things) but have no time for any
>>> TL work ATM.
>>>
>>> How bad do you need it?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Tomek
>> Ok, the net installer runs (from TeXLive::TLWinGoo)
>>
>>   create_uninstaller($vars{'TEXDIR'}, $vars{'TEXDIRW'},
>>      $vars{'TEXMFSYSVAR'}, $vars{'TEXMFSYSCONFIG'});
>>
>> and I assume we can do the same, if we know these four vars, of which I
>> assume we can ask tlmgr
>
> No, don't do that!  The uninstaller currently removes EVERYTHING!  You
> would need to write your own versions of  create_uninstaller and
> unregister_uninstaller for w32client.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Tomek

but that is exactly want I want!

w32client already has a suitable uninstaller which only remove desktop
icons, menu entries etc.

I'm trying to create a w32transplant script to speed up TL installation
on windows for 'install-party' sessions such that we do not waste too
much time installing in these sessions.

i.e. create a pristine TL installation on one Windows PC, ZIP it, move
it to another PC, unpack it and run w32transplant and the result should
be that one should not be able to see the difference between the
transplanted TL and a TL installed via the net installer into the same
location.

As far as I can see this is what I need to do

* add the same items to the menu that the install-tl script does (you
already mentioned how this can be done)

* add items to the desktop

* add to PATH variable

* adjust TeXWorks (I haven't looked at how this is done yet)

I would also like to be able to do the following

Assume the donor TL is installed in C:/texlive/2010 and we zip from
texlive and down

Then we would like to be able to transplant this to say

D:/foo

such that the new installation lives at

D:/foo/texlive/2010

Most of the work is already done in w32client, so I'll just copy some of
that.

--

/daleif