[tex-live] luatex + cwebmac

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Sun Nov 14 11:50:44 CET 2010

On 14 November 2010 Ingo Krabbe wrote:

 > Hello,
 >
 > I currently do some experiments on the usage of cwebmac combined with
 > luatex, which is quite successfull, until I include tikz.
 >
 > Anyway, I want modify some cwebmac macros, as I did in the past, so I
 > installed some local cwebmac.tex in
 >
 > 	${HOME)/tex/local/askgeneral/cwebmac.tex
 >
 > that leads to
 >
 > 	$ kpsewhich cwebmac.tex
 > 	/home/ingo/texmf/tex/local/askgeneral/cwebmac.tex
 >
 > which is what I expected.
 >
 > When I now use luatex on some file, converted with cweave I get:
 >
 > 	$ luatex scan_portage_dir.tex | head
 > 	This is LuaTeX, Version beta-0.60.2-2010071218 (TeX Live 2010)
 > 	(rev 3736)
 > 	 restricted \write18 enabled.
 > 	 (./scan_portage_dir.tex
 > 	 (/usr/share/texlive/2010/texmf-dist/tex/plain/cweb/cwebmac.tex
 > 	[...]
 >
 > But this is no luatex problem, it seems a global installation problem:
 >
 > 	$ tex scan_portage_dir.tex | head
 > 	This is TeX, Version 3.1415926 (TeX Live 2010)
 > 	 encTeX v. Jun. 2004, reencoding enabled.
 > 	 (./scan_portage_dir.tex
 > 	 (/usr/share/texlive/2010/texmf-dist/tex/plain/cweb/cwebmac.tex)
 > 	[...]
 >
 > Now I'm confused.  What's going wrong here?

Plain TeX first looks in a directory tex/plain which is missing in
your local tree.

>From texmf.cnf:
% Plain TeX.  Have the command tex check all directories as a last
% resort, we may have plain-compatible stuff anywhere.
TEXINPUTS.tex           = .;$TEXMF/tex/{plain,generic,}//

You can see that at least a directory "tex" in the root of a texmf
tree is required.  I recommend to keep the same directory structure
as in the main tree.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25