[tex-live] Update all installed failed

Philip Taylor (Webmaster, Ret'd) P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Sat Nov 13 18:40:15 CET 2010

George N. White III wrote:

> TLMGR is cross-platform and open-ended.   Updating a currently running
> application is common practice on other platforms.    With TeX Live it
> would be difficult to know in advance which applications might be using
> the files, so maybe the best that could be done is to remind windows users
> to "close all other applications".

"In advance", yes, but not at the point of application.  There is
a well-defined interface, exploited (for example) by Sysinternal's
"Filemon" (now bundled into Process Monitor) which is quite capable
of disclosing which processes are referencing which files.  I do
not for one second claim that it would necessarily be easy to hook
into this interface : my only point was that a Windows user would
normally expect to be informed that a file was locked, and and told
which application was responsible, rather than being given an
obscure message concerning file protection/permissions.

** Phil.