[tex-live] Update all installed failed

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Sat Nov 13 11:47:34 CET 2010

On Fr, 12 Nov 2010, Philip Taylor (Webmaster, Ret'd) wrote:
> I have now performed two consecutive "Update all installed".

Why two? Was there something to be updated?

>> Installation of new version of kpathsea.win32 did fail, trying to unwind.

Strange. But it seems unwinding was successful.

On Sa, 13 Nov 2010, Philip TAYLOR (Webmaster, Ret'd) wrote:
> Further to my earlier bug report that an "Update all installed".
> failed with diagnostic "Installation of new version of kpathsea.win32
> did fail, trying to unwind.", I have now attempted to perform

Bad.

> another "Update all installed".  This time TLMGR reports :
> "Installation of new version of luatex.win32 did fail, trying to unwind.".

Bad.

> Advice, please ?

crystal ball, please?

On Sa, 13 Nov 2010, Philip Taylor (Webmaster, Ret'd) wrote:
> I have turned on TLMGR debugging outout and
> am now seeing a whole series of
>
> 	"Warn : relocated bit set for ... but that is wrong"

Is your installation from ancient times?

There was long time in the testing phase a bug that packages were not
saved with the reloc bit removed, but that should not happen
anymore, and furthermore upgrading should fix these, too.

On Sa, 13 Nov 2010, Philip Taylor (Webmaster, Ret'd) wrote:
>> D:un-xzing E:\TeX\Live\2010\temp\texlive-scripts.win32.tar.xz to E:\TeX\Live\2010\temp\texlive-scripts.win32.tar

That worked.

>> D:unpacking E:\TeX\Live\2010\temp\texlive-scripts.win32.tar in E:\TeX\Live\2010
>> untar: untarring E:\TeX\Live\2010\temp\texlive-scripts.win32.tar failed (in E:\TeX\Live\2010)

That is really strange.

I can *ONLY* guess that something with the permissions below
	e:\texlive\2010
on your computer is completely hosed.

If the un-xzing *did* succeed (as we have seen) the un-tar *should* succeed
because the tar file for sure is fine.

And if the un-tarring failed then something *very* strange on your computer
is going on.

Did you play around with file/dir permissions, or whatever else?

Best wishes

Norbert