[tex-live] purifyeps not working

Victor Ivrii vivrii at gmail.com
Thu Nov 11 03:45:25 CET 2010

On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 7:36 PM, Reinhard Kotucha
<reinhard.kotucha at web.de> wrote:
> On 10 November 2010 Karl Berry wrote:
>
>  >        1) Remove purifyeps from TL.
>  >
>  > That'd be ok by me.
>  >
>  >        2) Include pstoedit in TL.  Why do you think it's not simple
>  >           to do?
>  >
>  > I realized later that "simple" wasn't the right word.
>  > "Inappropriate" is the right word :).  We (I) don't want to provide
>  > general-purpose non-TeX-related binaries (except for a minimal set
>  > on Windows, not relevant here); TL is not an operating system.
>  > E.g., we don't want to provide xpdf and its related utilities
>  > either.
>  >
>  >    3) Keep purifyeps in TL but without pstoedit.
>  >
>  > I don't have any particular objection to that, either, if it can be
>  > made to work -- see Rolf's follow-up that I just forwarded to you.
>
> Hi Karl,
> I recently noticed that tex4ht depends on pstoedit already in order to
> convert PostScript to SVG.  So I think that, as far as purifyeps is
> concerned, it's best to keep it but issue an error message if pstoedit
> isn't installed, just as Scott proposed.  On Linux it's quite easy to
> install the pstoedit binary provided by the distribution.  Don't know
> whether it's so easy on OS X too.

I compiled couple of days ago on two OSX 10.6.4 computers arch 64 and
arch 32. On the former was standard (but computer already had tons of
compiled libraries), on the latter I needed to recompile libiconv and
expat and copiy .la files from /usr/local/lib to /usr/lib (or one
could probably tackle it via source editing of pstoedit)

So, it may be straightforward but not necessarily.

Victor