[tex-live] TEXINPUTS on windows

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Sat Nov 6 21:53:19 CET 2010

Am Sat, 06 Nov 2010 21:28:04 +0100 schrieb Andreas Hirsch:

>> What I meant is that Lars would like to add an additional root to
>> TEXMFLOCAL. E.g. As miktex hadn't luatex until last month I used for
>> some time the luatex from w32tex.org in a minimal texmf. In the
>> texmf.cnf I had e.g. a setting
>>
>> TEXMFLOCAL    =
>> I:/TeX-Roots/UFlocaltexmf,I:/TeX-Roots/winfonts,I:/TeX-Roots/biblatex-beta
>>
>> (the actual roots varied, many of them where added only temporarly).
>
> As I remember, Lars mentioned 'simply users'.
>
> In the meantime, very special things were discussed.

Well no. Adding a complete texmf-tree is what the miktex interface
does and Lars was asking how this could be done. I did it by adding
the root to the variable TEXMFLOCAL

> Could we move back to the main problem? What sort of problem 'simply
> users' are confronted with which could not be solved putting files in
> localtexmf?

As an example: On http://xetex.tk/ there is a microtype.tds.zip with
a beta version of microtype. In miktex I simply unpackage the zip,
add the root folder as a new root
(http://docs.miktex.org/2.8/manual/localadditions.html#id574074) and
use it. When I no longer need it I remove the root.

In similar way I (and other miktex users) have used
beta/cvs-versions of biblatex, pgf (big package), beamer (also big
package), koma-script and others.

You don't have to copy a lot of files if you want to add a package,
and you don't have to delete a lot of files if you want to remove
it.

--
Ulrike Fischer