[tex-live] TEXINPUTS on windows

Andreas Hirsch nishni_nowgorod at gaponline.de
Fri Nov 5 17:11:02 CET 2010

quoting Lars Madsen, [05.11.2010 16:57 +0100]:
> Andreas Hirsch wrote:
>> quoting Lars Madsen, [05.11.2010 16:44 +0100]:

>>> MikTeX has a simple an intuitive interface to add more 'TeX roots' to
>>> MikTeX, i.e. more places to look for files. I have no idea what it does
>>> at conf level, just that it is very easy to explain to users and for
>>> them to add extra stuff.
>>
>> As I remember, adding files in those TeX-roots need updating FNDB too.
>> So I can see no 'sipliness' of the MiKTeX approach.
>>
>> Andreas
>>

> but doesn't it do that automatically? plus it is all gui based.

no - maybe only at firts time then you create a new TeX-root

If you change the files inside any exisitng TeX-root you have to refresh
FNDB

> All I'm mentioning is that this part is very very easy on MikTeX, and
> rather complicated on TeXLive, users much much more confused than they
> need to be.

GUI for iteself is not a guarantee for not beeing confused! Word2007 has
a mighty GUI ;-)

TLMGR-GUI is not to complicated to refresh the Filelist:
http://members.gaponline.de/afj/tl2010/tl2010_win7_inst_15102010_161549.png

Andreas

--
'Computer power is a supplement