[tex-live] tlmgr ftp issues?

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Thu May 20 10:50:13 CEST 2010

Lars Madsen <daleif at imf.au.dk> wrote:

> couldn't you just use a mirror that make use of HTTP instead of FTP

because mirror.ctan.org (for reasons i don't understand) insists on
quoting only the ftp address for tex.ac.uk

i wish it wouldn't, but i don't know how to discourage it...

> (why do firewalls keep people in, shouldn't it keep people out?)

non-passive ftp does involve separate back connections, which is why
it's so often targeted by firewalls.

(of course, the ensemble does keep my traffic down, so perhaps i
shouldn't complain...)

tim, can't you specify a specific server rather than letting mirror.ctan
choose it for you?  if you want to use tex.ac.uk, specify
http://www.tex.ac.uk; otherwise there are any number of other places you
could use.

Robin Fairbairns

For the CTAN team