[tex-live] iso file

Paul Gesting pgesting at odysseysr.com
Mon May 17 01:42:42 CEST 2010

I am trying to install TexLive on a linux machine that is behind a firewall, so I cannot use the install script. Also, I am not root so I cannot use the package installer (or mount an iso). I downloaded the iso and in an attempt to bypass writing it to a DVD, I simply used the linux archive to extract the iso. I found out that when you do that, it breaks all the sym links and they become just empty files (a name, with zero file size). I tried it in Windows with 7-zip and it did the same thing.

I know that this was my fault, but it might be helpful on the iso page (http://www.tug.org/texlive/acquire-iso.html) to state that you must either mount it or burn it - you cannot extract the files directly. I did not know that they were sym links so it took me a long time to figure this out (I simply thought the files were missing!) Apparently no one else has tried this because I spent many hours with google trying to figure it out and found nothing.

Thanks
Paul Gesting