[tex-live] use of x86_64-darwin only in mactex 2010

Justin C. Walker justin at mac.com
Tue Jun 22 22:04:27 CEST 2010

On 21 Jun, 2010, at 3:23 PM, Yan Zhou wrote:

> I have just one question, how does tlmgr determine the arch?
>
> When I tried to remove universal-darwin (i know it is not necessary, but i just tried), tlmgr shows,
> You are running on arch universal-darwin, you cannot remove that one!
> I am running SL on an i7 macbook pro, with 64-bit kernel. So on which machines, tlmgr will detect it to be x86_64-darwin instead of universal-darwin? My guess is Mac Pro, which runs 64bit kernel by default.

To clarify what Dick and Karl have said, and maybe draw this discussion out further,

universal-darwin is a "file type" that signifies a "container file" that contains binaries for one or more architectures.

there is some savings in space if you use universal binaries, but not much.

unfortunately, the "arch" spec differentiates between processor types, not OS versions, and as Dick has indicated in several messages, the problem lies in the fact that 10.6 binaries won't run on 10.5.

And, FWIW, I believe that Mac OS X always, by default, runs a 32-bit kernel, and 10.6 is the first release to provide full support for 64-bit user apps.

Justin

--
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon-At-Large
--------