[tex-live] Xindy searchpath

T T t34www at googlemail.com
Thu Jun 17 11:56:20 CEST 2010

On 17 June 2010 03:06, Robert Eckl <eckl.r at gmx.de> wrote:
>  T T <t34www at googlemail.com> wrote:
>>
>>On 17 June 2010 01:53, Robert Eckl <eckl.r at gmx.de> wrote:
>>>
>>> I invoke xindy with this command
>>>
>>> xindy -v -C utf8 -M meinBuch.xdy meinBuch-persons.idx
>>>
>>> This echoes
>>>
>>> Running filter:
>>> h:/texlive/2010/texmf/scripts/xindy/../xx/xx/bin/win32/tex2xindy
>>> <J:\temp\x204KY7KtM >J:\temp\WaNKZJ0pLE GNU CLISP: -x with lisp-file
>>> is invalid: ´(searchpath´
>>
>>My wild guess is that the arguments to clisp are malformed or misquoted.
> Can you run xindy with --interactive switch?  This should output
> somewhere:
>>
>>   Proposed xindy expression:\n\n$xindy_exp\n
>>
>>where $xindy_exp will be likely the problem argument passed to clisp.
>>
> The result is:
>
> Proposed xindy expression:
>
> (progn
>  (searchpath
> ".:h:/texlive/2010/texmf/xindy/modules:h:/texlive/2010/texmf/xindy/modules
> /base")
>  (xindy:startup
>    :idxstyle "meinBuch.xdy"
>    :rawindex "nul"
>    :output ""
>    :logfile "xindy.log"
>
>    )
>  (exit))
>
> [1]>
>
> But i don´t know what to do with this.
> Seems, the "-x with lisp-file" is wrong? But from where is it?

This seems to be a bug in xindy.pl script.  Not much you can do about
unless you have skills to write a patch for this.  I CCed the relevant
people.

Notes for xindy devs:

* As Akira said in another message the colon character can't be used
as a path separator on Windows. The `searchpath ...' part in clisp's
expression should use semicolon (in most likelihood but depends on
whether bin/win32/xindy-lisp.exe is a native windows port of clisp).

* Passing arguments with x0A (newline) char (as it happens for clisp
expression AFAICS from the sources) may or may not work depending on
whether the system shell is used or not and on how command line is
parsed. On win32 it's not possible to directly pass argument array to
a spawned process like on Unix - the argument array is always
converted to a single command line string before spawning a process.

Cheers,

Tomek