[tex-live] Graphics formats ..

Greg Bennett gwbennett at sentex.ca
Sat Jun 5 19:11:40 CEST 2010

Good day, from Greg Bennett.
I am moving TeX projects to Linux, specifically Ubuntu 10.4. I have
built TeXworks which
uses tex-live as underlying engine.

Many of these projects involve diagrams which have been
created as .eps files under Adode; they have been included gracefully
under Windows (MikTeX)
and MacOS (TeXshop).

Running a small example to test my new installation using pdflatex, I
receive the message
   unknown graphics extension .eps
or
  unknown graphics extrension .ps
if I copy x.eps to x.ps.

I note that as the precessing reaches the commands to deal with the
graphics file, there is
the message

Perhaps this is a format to which I need to convert the .eps files.
I have poked about in such documentation as I can find; so far I have
not seen any sections
dealing with the importing of graphics files .. so I shall be grateful
for pointers, assistance,
advice.

Cheers /Greg Bennett