[tex-live] pretest in winXP

Dan Luecking luecking at uark.edu
Wed Jun 2 19:19:22 CEST 2010

> > If the extension .py is added, I get (at home where python is not
> installed)
> >
> > [C:\work\test]de-macro
> > TEXDIR  C:/TL/2010
> > C:\TL\2010\bin\win32\runscript.tlu:559:
> > C:\TL\2010\bin\win32\runscript.tlu:517: no appropriate script or program
> > found: de-macro
>
>You probably forgot to run mkteslsr after changing the extension and
>kpathsea still uses the old file database for searching.

It's possible. I was running a lot of tests in quick succession.

>AFAIK (Karl, please correct me on this if I'm wrong), we try not to
>change the upstream files unless necessary, because this complicates
>automated updates from CTAN.

I can well understand that.

So I would like to encourage those upstream authors whose package
includes a script to think of us Windows users and either follow
the #! convention or (my preference) give the file name a standard
extension.

The advantage of an extension over the #! convention is that
one can see from its name what kind of script it is, and (in
windows) make use of existing file associations.

Dan

Daniel H. Luecking
Department of Mathematical Sciences
Fayetteville, Arkansas