[tex-live] Problem updating using tlmgr

Torsten Andre qa at takb.net
Wed Jun 2 13:23:37 CEST 2010

Norbert Preining wrote:
> On Mi, 02 Jun 2010, Torsten Andre wrote:
>> I installed tex-live 2008. I'd like to update to 2009 and I thought to
>
> Updates between releases are currently not supported. YOu have to
> reinstall TL 2009 completely a new.
>
>>From TL 2009 to TL2010 there *MIGHT* be an update mechanism, but
> non of us had time till now to implement it, so don't hold oyur breath.
>
>> Well, whenever I try to update tlmgr always tells me that (I'm translating)
>> "the Tex Live database could not be loaded from $newroot. Please select
>> a different installation source..."
>
> Yes, because TL2008 is not available anymore on the normal CTAN mirrors.
>
>> the same error. I searched for different server but I always found hints
>> to select [2]. I installed tex-live from [1].
>
> Yes, TL2008 is not there anymore. CTAN cannot hold copies of
> 2008, 2009, and our currently running 2010 pretests. So CTAN holds
> only the current release, that is TL 2009.
>
>> Can someone tell me how to update texlive? Thank you very much!
>
> INstall TL2009 as new.
>
> Best wishes
>
> Norbert
> Norbert Preining            preining@{jaist.ac.jp, logic.at, debian.org}
> JAIST, Japan                                 TeX Live & Debian Developer
> DSA: 0x09C5B094   fp: 14DF 2E6C 0307 BE6D AD76  A9C0 D2BF 4AA3 09C5 B094
> NAAS (n.)
> The winemaking region of Albania where most of the wine that people
> take to bottle-parties comes from.
> 			--- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff

Sorry to bother again, but I tried to install texlive 2009 using the net
install. I ran ./install-tl which was really slow. So I decided to selct
a host nearby but that failed. Trying different hosts from [1] they all
failed with the same error message:

:~/tmp/install-tl-20100512$ ./install-tl -repository
http://sunsite.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/ftp/pub/mirror/ctan/
Installing TeX Live 2009 from:
http://sunsite.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/ftp/pub/mirror/ctan
Platform: i386-linux => 'Intel x86 with GNU/Linux'
http://sunsite.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/ftp/pub/mirror/ctan/tlpkg/texlive.tlpdb
TLDownload::get_file: response error:
  404 Not Found
permanent server connection set up, but downloading did not
succeed!Retrying with wget.
TLDownload::get_file: response error:
  404 Not Found
permanent server connection set up, but downloading did not
succeed!Retrying with wget.
./install-tl: Could not load packages from

http://sunsite.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/ftp/pub/mirror/ctan/tlpkg/texlive.tlpdb

You may want to try specifying an explicit or different CTAN mirror;
see the information and examples for the -repository option at
http://tug.org/texlive/doc/install-tl.html
(or in the output of install-tl --help).

./install-tl: Could not load TeX Live Database from
http://sunsite.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/ftp/pub/mirror/ctan, goodbye.

Am I missing something? Thanks again.

[1] www.ctan.org/mirrors