[tex-live] sTeX in TL?

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Mon Jul 19 00:30:48 CEST 2010

Hi Will,

    is sTeX missing from TeX Live?

FWIW, when I remove something my (terse) reasons are either in the svn
log message or Master/tlpkg/libexec/ctan2tds or (usually) both.

I regretfully removed sTeX because the new release was simply too
complex for me to deal with.  Given infinite time I could have gotten it
working, maybe using the generic Makefiles, maybe talking to the author,
maybe other things, but I didn't have that long.

Some extremely generic file names (presentation.sty, statements.sty)
also troubled me, although I don't think they actually caused conflicts
at present.

    annoying directory structure that would require a bit of work to get it

The directory structure per se isn't the problem (we just eradicate the
dir structure in such cases, it's a common thing to do), it's the
complex build process.  Just doing the "simple" things like running the
.ins files does not suffice.  Or so it seemed to me.

As you surmise, it won't be in the TL'10 release, but maybe it'll come
back some day.  If you feel like talking to the author, this would be
one of the very few packages where an author-provided TDS tree would
actually be very beneficial.

Best,
karl