[tex-live] packaging

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sun Jul 11 00:49:53 CEST 2010

    Suppose a line contains this reference:
            <ts1-euro.enc
    This presumably requires a matching file name so can I simply change it
    to:
            <yyy-ts1-euro.enc
    for example?

Yes, that's what I had in mind (and what other fonts do).

    I'm not sure what the last entry on the .map file lines does:
            " fontinst-autoenc-ts1-euro ReEncodeFont "
    This matches the following line in the encoding file:
            /fontinst-autoenc-ts1-euro [
    Does this need to match the filename? Or can this be left?

The PostScript name (/fontinst...euro) doesn't *have* to match the
filename (indeed, it doesn't), but it's probably asking for trouble not
to also have it be unique across fonts, in the event that one day the
two definitions are actually different.  I.e., better to add the yyy-
there too.

The problem I envision is this: a year from now, someone points out that
font x now has ts1 character foobar, while font y still does not.  At
that point, ts1 for x is going to want to be different from ts1 for y.
And if the names are not distinct in the first place, compatibility
could suffer.  It's just more robust and simpler (not for the
implementor :) to keep them as separate names from the start.

Wdyt?