[tex-live] TL 2010 installation does not correctly set path in presence of TL 2009

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard mpg at elzevir.fr
Tue Jul 6 15:07:11 CEST 2010

Le 06/07/2010 15:01, George N. White III a écrit :
> Many systems will have TL2009 previously installed and a user wants to
> try TL2010.
> For machines with more than one user, this likely means TL2009 is installed
> "system-wide" while TL2010 is installed by and for one user.

Well, my (possibly wrong) vision is that one of two scenarios are most probable:
- essentially single-user machine, so the user-admin will probably install
system-wide TL2010 too
- multi-user machine, like in a university network, where the user is hopefully
unlikely to ever want to install something like TL on his account.

But of course those are not the only possible scenarios.

> Perhaps the installer should try to detect such cases and issue a warning, but
> it is the little surprises that keep life interesting.

It seems to me the installer is already doing that. From Phil's original message:

Warning: conflicting [pdf]tex program found on the system path in [...]

Manuel.