[tex-live] TL'10 pretest trial

Philip Taylor (Webmaster, Ret'd) P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Mon Jul 5 19:15:45 CEST 2010

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard wrote:

<a great deal which I have excised>, in the middle of which was :

>> 3)  Is there an "Install-TL-advanced" for Unix/Linux ?  If so, option (3)
>>       of "Installing" should use this.  If not, then the document needs to
>>       fork even earlier.
>>
> No, the only purpose of install-tl-advance.bat is to allow Windows user to
> double-click it, so that they don't need to use this horribly frightening
> Unixish tool name a command line (just kidding, not wanting to start yet another
> OS troll) in order to specify -gui perltk to get the fully configurable version
> of the installer.
>
> Since, in pretest phase, even windows users are not supposed to be afraid by a
> command line (since they often need it for the -repository option, and a
> courageous people anyway---they wouldn't be pretesting otherwise), there's
> little point in mentioning install-tl-advanced.bat on the pretest page IMO.

If you don't mention it, how can you expect it to get tested ?

Personally I would recommend we overwrite Install-TL.bat with
Install-TL-Advanced.bat and recommend only the former; I cannot
any see any benefit in hiding important options from even complete
beginners at TL installation.

** Phil.