[tex-live] TL'10 pretest trial

Philip Taylor (Webmaster, Ret'd) P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Sun Jul 4 14:15:09 CEST 2010

Dear Norbert, et al. :

Norbert Preining wrote:

>> When I first reported this in 2008, I was told a new version of PERLTK was needed
>> to address this problem; the same was repeated in 2009; surely two years after
>> my first report, a  newer version must by now have emerged ???
>
> No it hasn't. The last version was released a month or so ago and
> none of us had the time to build and include it into perl/w32.

I see a new version was released in January :

	 	Tk-804.028_502  	 [Download] [Browse]   	30 Jan 2010  ** DEVELOPER RELEASE **

Was that version considered for adoption ?

> The rest of the comments are interesting, but not so importatnt,
> we are discussion *pretest*, so you are expected to read and understand
> the text, even if some parameters are explained later than expected.

Yes, we /are/ discussing "pretest", and I assume (I hope correctly)
that you want pre-testers.  My point is that you are making it
unnecessarily difficult for pre-testers to even get started --
surely it is not that difficult to write a brief introduction to
the process of pre-testing that actually /helps/ potential
pre-testers rather than acting as a deterrent ?

** Phil.