[tex-live] Comments on texlive 2008 to 2009

peter wilson herries.press at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 18 01:55:22 CET 2010

     I have just installed texlive 2009 from the DVD on top of the 2007
and 2008 editions on a linux box using the gui installer, and have a
couple of comments.

o I went with the suggested No Symlinks and updated the PATH environment
to use texlive 2009 before the 2008 and 2007 editions. When testing I
kept getting the 2008 contents. After much tribulation I found that I
must have requested symlinks when installing 2008. Deleting everything
in /usr/local/bin eventually cured the problem. It could be beneficial
to add a comment to the Guide that this, as well as an incorrect PATH,
can lead to the correct programs not being found.

o I have several third party fonts (e.g. WebOMints) and they were not
accessible after moving from 2008 to 2009. I discovered that I had to
run updmap-sys for each of the map files for these fonts. I had followed
  waht appeared to be the `standard' suggestion of putting the map files
into TEXMFLOCAL/fonts/map/dvips/... It appears that updmap is run for
map files in the standard distribution at installation time. It would
make life much easier for users like me if the map files located under
TEXMFLOCAL were also updmaped when TeXLive was installed.

Apart from the above quibbles, everything has appeared to go well. Thank
you all.

Peter W.