[tex-live] sudo tlmgr of TL 2009

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Wed Jan 6 02:30:10 CET 2010

On So, 03 Jan 2010, Christian Pleul wrote:
> I installed it with the user (chrisp) which was I created during installation and the following sudo command

Ok.

> After TeX Live installation, I modified the
>
> .bashrc
>
> of chrisp and added
>
> PATH=/usr/local/texlive/2009/bin/i386-linux:\$PATH

And how should root then find tlmgr?

> This means, I think, either to add the right PATH setting to the .bashrc of root or change the privileges of the user chrisp?

Best would be to add the TeX Live stuff to the general path for all
users, or, if there is anyway only chrisp and root, add it to the
PATH of root in its .bashrc.

> What would you suggest as the best way and how could it be done?

As said, if it is single as in  single single user, then you could
have installed it as user anyway.

Now you have to add that dir to root path, maybe only temporarily:
	sudo bash
	export PATH=/usr/local/texlive/2009/bin/i386-linux:$PATH
	tlmgr update --self --all

Best wishes

Norbert
JAIST, Japan            TU Wien, Austria           Debian TeX Task Force
`... then I decided that I was a lemon for a couple of
weeks. I kept myself amused all that time jumping in and
out of a gin and tonic.'
Arthur cleared his throat, and then did it again.
did you...?'
I found a
small lake that thought it was a gin and tonic, and jumped
in and out of that. At least, I think it thought it was a
gin and tonic.'
`I may,' he addded with a grin which would have sent sane
men scampering into the trees, `have been imagining it.'
                 --- Ford updating Arthur about what he's been doing for the
                 --- past four years.