[tex-live] 2007 TeX Live distribution

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Sat Jan 2 04:38:36 CET 2010

On 1 January 2010 David Anderson wrote:

 > This past January (2009) I picked up a TeX Live DVD at the Joint Math
 > Meetings.  This December I finally tried installing it on my netbook, which
 > of course doesn't have a DVD drive.  My solution was to copy it off of the
 > DVD to an external hard drive, and use that.
 >
 > The machine for copying runs Windows XP.
 >
 > Every attempt to install TeX Live from the external hard drive to
 > the netbook failed, despite following all the documentation
 > available, supplemented by significant web searching.
 >
 > Finally I found a 12-hour block of time in which the 2009 version
 > of TeX Live could be downloaded (it actually took 11), and it
 > worked perfectly the first time.
 >
 > My working hypothesis for the failure of the 2007 distribution is
 > that the XP machine didn't include the Rock Ridge data in the
 > copying process, though I'm afraid I do not know how I could
 > confirm this.  If this is the case, perhaps an explicit warning to
 > this effect in the documentation is warranted.

I assume that the XP machine at least understands the Joliet
extensions, which are supported by the DVD.  But I already encountered
severe problems with file systems like "cifs".  Under which operating
system is your netbook running and which file system does it use?
Which file system do you have on your external disk?  I fear it's a
braindead one if Windows is able to write to it.  Do you remember any
error messages?

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25