[tex-live] script for LuaTeX font database updating

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard mpg at elzevir.fr
Fri Feb 26 00:36:33 CET 2010

T T a écrit :
> On 25 February 2010 18:43, Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard <mpg at elzevir.fr> wrote:
>> Reinhard Kotucha a écrit :
>>> Since there are already some -sys scripts we can't get rid of, I think
>>> it's worthwhile to consider whether it makes sense to follow this
>>> scheme, just that such programs behave similar.
>>>
>> I think the new script should follow this scheme.
>
> I think we should distinguish between mechanisms and policy in this
> discussion. From the mechanisms POV (i.e. how to write the script) I
> think it's best to have the --sys option *and* the condition on
> argv[0]. This doesn't particularly complicate the script and gives us
> the most flexibility without needlessly bothering the script author
> should we change our policy.

You're right.

> From the policy POV I don't have a strong opinion, but for admin-type
> tools like sys-variants I lean towards using the --sys switch rather
> than multiplying utilities in already overcrowded bin dir.

I tend to disagree here, but I don't have a very strong opinion either.

My point is that if we remove other foobar-sys scripts, people will get confused
because there is quite a lot of web pages out there that mention them (and as we
all know, people use google rather than looking at the official and up-to-date
documentation). And having updmap-sys but update-luatex-fonts-db -- sys would be
confusing too. Anyway...

> Indeed. I was told that there is not need for getnonfreefonts-sys
> support anymore. If this is not correct I suggest we discuss it off
> the list.

Sure.

Manuel.