[tex-live] Luatex formats and hyphenation patterns

Khaled Hosny khaledhosny at eglug.org
Mon Feb 22 22:32:15 CET 2010

Currently luatex format, like other etex engines, loads all hyphenation
patterns in the format.

However, this is unnecessary for luatex which can happily load
hyphenation patterns on the fly, it is even discouraged per luatex
manual. The result of this is noticeable slow down in luatex startup
(about 3 seconds on my system).

In my naive attempt to fix this, I made a copy of etex.src with the name
luatex.src, patched it to only load hyphenation patterns when requested
(i.e. in \uselanguage instead of \addlanguage) and changed luatex.ini
accordingly.

Attached the modified files, and a diff for quick review.

This seems to work as expected, but I don't think this is the right
approach since the patterns are reloaded every time the language is
requested instead if only once the first time it is called. And latex
format needs to be fixed too.

Regards,
 Khaled

--