[tex-live] "Can't find font" : which step(s) have I overlooked ?

Philip TAYLOR P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Wed Feb 10 16:06:04 CET 2010

Zdenek Wagner wrote:

> I would try to find the files with kpsewhich. If it does not work, the
> file name database is wrong or the files are on wrong places. As I
> see, the tfm file is not in the tfm subdirectory which might be the
> problem. If the files are found but do not work, the map file is
> wrong.

OK, the files are definitely found :

> H:\TeX\Projects\Andreas>kpsewhich webomintsgd.tfm
> h:/TeX/Live/2009/texmf/local/fonts/tfm/local/webomintsgd.tfm
>
> H:\TeX\Projects\Andreas>kpsewhich webomintsgd.pfb
> h:/TeX/Live/2009/texmf/local/fonts/type1/local/webomintsgd.pfb

and tbe map entry in PdfTeX.map was inserted by "updmap"
using "webo.map" as its source.

Lars Madsen wrote:

 > I don't think it is a good idea to manually change pdftex.map
 >
 > I have
 >
 >   WebOMintsGD WebOMintsGD <WebOMintsGD.pfb
 >
 > in webo.map, which is located in
 >
 > texmf-local/fonts/map/dvips/webomints
 >
 > ran texhash to make sure webo.map can be found, aka
 >
 > kpsewhich webo.map
 >
 > then enabled it
 >
 > updmap-sys --enable Map webo.map

Yes, did all that, and even did

	updmap-sys --enable Map ./webo.map

with a copy of webo.map in the current directory, and thus
it was updmap that modified PdfTeX.map ...

George N. White III wrote:

 > This mixes plain old tex with latex -- it isn't valid for either
 > pdftex or pdflatex.

Well, it works for Guido Herzog !  And as far as I can see,
it is valid for PdfLaTeX, even if it breaks every rule
in L2TabuEN :-)

 > I used "updmap-sys --enable Map=webo" and can compile+view sample1.tex
 > using pdflatex and xpdf

Hmm, I wonder what I am doing wrong ...

** Phil.