[tex-live] Two tlmgr/installer gui issues: Xfce/FreeBSD

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Thu Feb 4 02:57:47 CET 2010

On Mi, 03 Feb 2010, Nikola Lečić wrote:
> % xlsfonts -l -fn fixed
> DIR  MIN  MAX EXIST DFLT PROP ASC DESC NAME
> -->    0  255  some    0   22  11    2 -misc-fixed-medium-r-semicondensed--0-0-75-75-c-0-iso8859-1

Hmm, that looks very normal, strange.

>   http://anthesphoria.net/FreeBSD/TeXLive-Devel/translations/tlmgr-gui-FreeBSD-Xfce-20100203-b.png

That is strange indeed.

On Mi, 03 Feb 2010, Karl Berry wrote:
>    np> Fix the "fixed" font.
>
> Norbert, I don't see "fixed" being hardwired in the Perl code, though I
> certainly could have missed it.  Anyway, I'd expect the normal font for
> Tk to be used, not just forcing "fixed"?

Actually I was believing that "fixed" is the default font used
by the Tk module. The "Mastering Perl/Tk" book does not give much
information here. It says on Unix it uses the "system fonts" as
found by xlsfonts.

Which font is actually selected based on the LOCALE I have no idea.

Nikola: Can you run the attached script test.pl with
	perl test.pl
and send us the output. It checks that used default settings of
the font and the actually selected ones.

Running it on my computer shows that I actually might use fontconfig
in Tk, too, since here it returns bitstream vera as the fefault
font.

> In any case, hopefully it can be changed with some confusing X user
> preference or another.

The "Mastering ..." book suggest using the -font "..." command
line and states that this can be used without changing the code
of the script, but that is not true. I guess we have to add some
calls to the Tk_Commandline or whatever.

>    nl> The boxes are non-writable regardless of write permissions.
>
> Nikola, it seems that this must be some peculiarity of the Tk you have
> vs. what tlmgr is expecting/doing/programming for.  There's probably no

Yes I agree, there i nothing I can debug here, there is no reason why
they should be disabled.

Best wishes

Norbert
JAIST, Japan            TU Wien, Austria           Debian TeX Task Force
HUTLERBURN (n.archaic)
A burn sustained as a result of the behaviour of a clumsy hutler. (The
precise duties of hutlers are now lost in the mists of history.)
			--- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff