[tex-live] updmap and TEXMFHOME

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Sat Dec 4 21:36:33 CET 2010

2010/12/4 Reinhard Kotucha <reinhard.kotucha at web.de>:
> On 4 December 2010 Ulrike Fischer wrote:
>
>  > Am Sat, 4 Dec 2010 02:31:16 +0100 schrieb Reinhard Kotucha:
>  >
>  > > I thought that it's sufficient to put \pdfmapline into the .fd file
>  > > because this is loaded on demand:
>  >
>  > If \pdfmapline commands were in the fd-files it would be difficult
>  > for a user to overwrite such defaults as the fd-files are quite
>  > often read just before the font is used.
>
> Which defaults do you have in mind?  \DeclareFontShape?  When I change
> them in the preamble, I usually load the .fd file before to make sure
> that nothing gets overwritten later.

I understand what Ulrike means. Imagine that I have an "improved"
version of PFB filesand I want to tes them using the same TFM files. I
do not want to install them because I am not sure that I want to use
them in all document. I therefore add \pdfmapline or \pdfmapfile to
the beginning of the document. If the fd file is not preloaded in the
format and the font is first used after my \pdfmap* commands, they
will be overwritten by the definitions from the fd file.

In past I used \pdfmapfile for defining new PFB mapping for testing
purpose and when typesetting a document using a commercial font which
I was allowed to use  just for that single document, therefore I did
not want to install it.

> Or do you have something else in mind?
>
> Regards,
>  Reinhard
>
> --
> Reinhard Kotucha                                      Phone: +49-511-3373112
> Marschnerstr. 25
> D-30167 Hannover                              mailto:reinhard.kotucha at web.de
> Microsoft isn't the answer. Microsoft is the question, and the answer is NO.

Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/
http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz