[tex-live] updmap and TEXMFHOME

Bob Tennent rdt at cs.queensu.ca
Fri Dec 3 13:41:03 CET 2010

Hi Norbert.

 >|> I can add Map entries using
 >|> updmap -e or updmap --enable Map=... but it seems those entries are
 >|> clobbered when tlmgr updates.
 >|
 >|No they shouldn't.
 >|	tlmgr generate updmap
 >|will update TEXROOT/2010/texmf-var/web2c/updmap.cfg, so it
 >|will not clobber changes you have made to the one in TEXMFHOME:

Then there might be something wrong with my
configuration because I lost all recent updates to my
$HOME/.texlive2010/texmf-config/web2c/updmap.cfg when tmlmgr did a
system update. (And other strange things have happened; kpsewhich still
can't find tcfmgr.map unless there's a copy in the pwd.)

 >|Fonts in home directories are a pain, still by now.

TEXMFHOME is the only reasonable place to put licensed proprietary
fonts.

 >|You can:
 >|- move them to TEXMFLOCAL if you have access to it
 >|- keep them in TEXMFHOME, but then you have to call tlmgr with
 >|   additional argumetns:
 >|      tlmgr --localcfg /path/to/your/local/updmap-local.cfg \
 >|	    --dest ~/.texlive2010/texmf-config/web2c/updmap.cfg \
 >|	    generate updmap
 >|
 >|This ensures that all fonts installed in the system plus all your
 >|fonts are included in your home updmap.cfg, but you have to
 >|do that whenever the sysadm has changed something regarding fonts
 >|in the main updmap.sys

Surely we can do better than this. The problem seems to be that updmap
currently expects a *single* configuration file. It should instead
merge system, local, and user files when it is called. Or it should be
possible for one config file to link to another; then they could be
changed independently (without necessitating regeneration of the one
true updmap.cfg).  Lots of applications allow for system/local/user
configuration files, and allow call-time options as well.

 >|PS: tlmgr is by now *NOT* meant for user file configuration and
 >|management, it is for the TeX system admin.

I wouldn't expect tlmgr to *manage* user config files; but they should be
allowed for.

Best,
Bob T.