[tex-live] asy & texmf v texmf-local

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Thu Aug 26 09:40:51 CEST 2010

On Do, 26 Aug 2010, Will Robertson wrote:
> !!/usr/local/texlive/2010/texmf/tex///:
> !!/usr/local/texlive/2010/../texmf-local/tex///:
> !!/usr/local/texlive/2010/texmf-dist/tex///
>
> The TL-installed asymptote.sty is found before the texmf-local one, which
> isn't very friendly. What should be happening here? While asymptote.sty
> isn't its own package on CTAN, should asymptote be installing it
> (from source) in the texmf/ rather than the texmf-local directory?

Some things need to be clarified, the following is my interpretation:
- because asymptote.sty and the binaries are closely linked, the .sty
  file resides in texmf, not texmf-dist, so that it is *not* overridden
  by a texmf-local file
- those who actually *compile* a new asymptote should be apt enough to
  understand that they have to replace the texmf/asymptote.sty file
- the install process of the asymptote package assumes that there
  is either no installation, or an old one from the package itself,
  but not texlive package

Best would be if asymptote build system would recognize a texlive
installation and offers to put the asymptote file into texmf/...
instead.

> Or should the order of the paths above in texmf.cnf be adjusted so
> texmf-local is found first?

No, it is found *before* texmf-dist but *after* texmf, and that is fine.

Best wishes

Norbert