[tex-live] (no subject)

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Wed Aug 25 15:13:46 CEST 2010

On 24 August 2010 Karl Berry wrote:

 > Reinhard,
 >

 >     * tlmgr --help: The TeX Live Manager uses "less" to display the help
 >       text. In the new version, it shows some wired escape sequences.
 >
 > I can reproduce it on tug.org, ssh'd in with a plain old xterm, locale
 > settings all POSIX.  I run:
 > $ (unset LESS; unset LESSOPEN; tlmgr help)
 >
 > And it says:
 > "/tmp/OWdfETYIXZ" may be a binary file.  See it anyway?
 >
 > And I type "y" and and what I see is the attached screenshot, full of
 > ESC sequences.

Sorry, there is no attachment, only the string "[ATTACHMENT
/tmp/s.png, image/png]".

But I can reproduce the problem with:

   (unset LESS; unset LESSOPEN; tlmgr help)

The escape sequences you see on screen are probably ANSI colors.
less(1) doesn't pass them to the terminal by default.

Could you set the environment variable

  LESS='-R'

and try again?

Regards,