[tex-live] TeX Live 2010 test report

Markus Uhr uhrm at inf.ethz.ch
Tue Aug 24 09:31:46 CEST 2010

Hello

I've decided to try out the pretest version of TeX Live 2010. I've found some issues that I'd like to report back. I used the network installer and only selected a subset of the distribution. See below for the details:

Network install (customized)
----------------------------

Binaries:

u: x86_64-linux

Installation scheme:

a: basic scheme

Custom collections:

a: Essential programs and files
g: Recommended fonts
l: Recommended generic packages
o: Basic LaTeX packages
p: LaTeX3 packages
t: LaTeX recommended packages
v: Advanced math typesetting
y: Graphics packages and programs
D: XeTeX packages

Custom languages:

j: US and UK English
m: German

Problems
--------

* tlmgr --help: The TeX Live Manager uses "less" to display the help text. In the new version, it shows some wired escape sequences. I guess there is something wrong in rendering the man-page.

* XeTeX: missing package binhex.tex. When I tried to compile one of my real-life documents using XeTeX and "unicode-math", it tried to pull in "binhex.tex". I think this is needed by the package "xpackages". The missing file belongs to the "kastrup" package. The problem seems to be a missing dependency of "xpackages" to "kastrup".

Installing "kastrup" manually using tlmgr solved the problem.

* XeTeX: segfault when using strechy math characters and <unicode-math>.
  Example document:

  \documentclass{article}
  \usepackage{amsmath}
  \usepackage{unicode-math}

  \begin{document}

  \begin{equation*}
      \begin{pmatrix}1 \\ 0 \\ 0\end{pmatrix}
  \end{equation*}

  \end{document}

In TeX Live 2009, this document rendered without stretchy characters (on Linux), but XeTeX did not segfault. This is clearly a regression from the previous version.

Best regards,
Markus