[tex-live] Fwd: files generated by fmtutil/updmap -- platform independent?

Marc Espie espie at nerim.net
Sun Aug 22 13:12:23 CEST 2010

On Sun, Aug 22, 2010 at 06:19:04PM +0900, Norbert Preining wrote:
> The slight problem is the "just merge" you mentioned ...

How hard can it be ? are the formats *that* complicated ? in most cases,
it's just a question of parsing a few lines of text and merging them.
~20 lines of perl or so.

> > I'm pretty sure this is not even hard-to-do, you would just have to
> > figure out a place to dump partial information, and extend the tools
> > slightly to separate the scanning/merging/creating map information.
>
> So if you are pretty sure, stop insulting us, [insult deleted] and program it!!!
> Let me see the outcome, and I will be one of the first who merges it
> into Debian packages for example ...

I can put it on my list of things to do. I'm rather busy with a lot of things,
so it might take a while.

> > I'm pretty certain that *you can get rid of 99% of the time spent running
> > special commands* during install for the end user.  This makes a huge
> > difference for people wanting to run texlive on small netbooks (or
> > zaurii), and will even be useful for people with fast machines.
>
> Yes yes, easy scanning the updmap.cfg file, which has redirections
> to the map files, and they again contain definitions.
>
> Just a small question: What to do with duplicate entries? Sorting?

Sort and remove duplicates... that's sort -u to you ;-)

If it's currently difficult to do, maybe tweaking the file formats to make
things simpler is the best idea ?

And yeah, I haven't been directly involved with TeX* for a few years. Doesn't
mean I didn't use to be, and don't know what I'm talking about...