[tex-live] mktexlsr ignores "rcs" on a Windows 7 machine

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Wed Aug 18 16:20:31 CEST 2010

RCS directory is an administrative area of an RCS working copy
(similarly CVS directory for CVS wirking copy). Such directories
should not be seen by TeX. Unfortunatelly, Windows file systems are
not case sensitive, so they consider rcs and RCS being equal.

2010/8/18 Shinichi Sakata <ssakata at interchange.ubc.ca>:
> I regularly use TeXLive 2007 on my machines running Debian
> Linux. Given my positive experiences with TeXLive, I recommended it to
> my friend and installed TeXLive 2009 on her new computer a few days
> ago. Her machine is running Windows 7.
>
> To test the installation, she ran LaTeX to process a document using
> lots of packages. Unfortunately, she got a strange error message,
> which says that rcs.sty is not found on the system. After checking
> several things, I found that the cause of the problem was ls-R in the
> texmf-dist directory did not contain lines for the directory rcs,
> where rcs.sty lived. After playing with mktexlsr on her machine for a
> few hours, I now suspect that mktexlsr simply ignores any directory
> named "rcs" or "RCS" (and maybe rCS, rcS, etc., too).
>
> On Linux machines, mktexlsr is a shell script. Looking at the one on
> my machine, I have realized that mktexlsr on my machine strips off the
> directories named RCS. Probably, the windows version of mktexlsr in
> TeXLive 2009 does the same. Nevertheless, the capitalization could be
> ignored on Windows platforms, depending on how mktexlsr obtains the
> directory information. This may be the reason why mktexlsr does not
> work correctly on my friend's machine.
>
> Anyway, I hope that the problem will be corrected in the future
> verions of TeXLive. To bypass the problem in the short run, I renamed
> the directory "rcs" to "rcs1" and ran mktexlsr again. The problem is
> gone now.
>
> Best,
>
>  Shinichi

>  Shinichi Sakata                 Phone: (604) 822-5360  / Fax: (604) 822-5915
>  University of British Columbia  E-mail:ssakata at interchange.ubc.ca
>  Department of Economics

Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/