[tex-live] Windows XP X64 uninstall goes badly...

Beuthe, Thomas beuthet at aecl.ca
Tue Aug 10 04:30:53 CEST 2010

UNRESTRICTED | ILLIMITÉ

As hinted in my previous mail message, I tried uninstalling TeXLive installation from
a Windows XP X64 machine (which is really a re-branded server 2003), and I must say
I'm somewhat less than pleased.  The uninstaller refused to removed all executable files
(basically all .bat, .exe, .dll, and .cmd files and their associated directory trees).
So I'm left with 817 files that were not uninstalled, and to boot the TeXLive 2009
Entry in Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs is still in there, and I can't even remove
the package entry using the windows install cleanup utility program because the install
was never made using Windows Installer in the first place.  The desktop entries are
all still there, along with the Start -> programs entry for TeXLive.

My first impulse would be to delete the remaining files and desktop entries, and remove the install entry directly
in the registry through regedit.  Is that advisable?  Editing the registry directly always
faintly gives me the creeps.  The possibility of REALLY mucking up the system is always there.

This is just too ugly.
Has anyone else had this type of experience or am I just "special" somehow?

Thomas

CONFIDENTIAL AND PRIVILEGED INFORMATION NOTICE

This e-mail, and any attachments, may contain information that
is confidential, subject to copyright, or exempt from disclosure.
Any unauthorized review, disclosure, retransmission,
dissemination or other use of or reliance on this information
may be unlawful and is strictly prohibited.

AVIS D'INFORMATION CONFIDENTIELLE ET PRIVILÉGIÉE

Le présent courriel, et toute pièce jointe, peut contenir de
l'information qui est confidentielle, régie par les droits
d'auteur, ou interdite de divulgation. Tout examen,
divulgation, retransmission, diffusion ou autres utilisations
non autorisées de l'information ou dépendance non autorisée
envers celle-ci peut être illégale et est strictement interdite.