[tex-live] Changes for 2010?

Heiko Oberdiek heiko.oberdiek at googlemail.com
Mon Apr 19 19:53:10 CEST 2010

Hello,

On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 02:43:47PM +0200, Joachim Schrod wrote:

[...]

Thanks for your long explanation.

> For those who are interested: It's about the differing meaning of
> `bbb' in \index{aaa|bbb}. In MakeIndex, this is an arbitrary string
> that is output with a leading backslash. In xindy, `bbb' is a
> `location class' that must be defined and where its processing can
> be influenced. E.g., one may define if such `bbb' references are
> dropped or additionaly mentioned when the same location appears in
> another class or in a page range of another class. As an example:
> If I have a page range 10-20, I may want to drop an index entry on
> page 15 with location class `hint', but may want to introduce an
> additional entry if the index entry has location class
> `definition'. One can also define if location classes shall be
> mixed, or if they shall be listed seperately. That's because in
> xindy locations are structured objects where their semantic go
> beyond mere page numbers, as in MakeIndex.
>
> I.e., that current hypperref's index links don't work with xindy is
> not a bug, it's the result of *intented* behaviour.

Yes, hyperref has fixed a major flaw in the user interface:

  \documentclass{article}
  \usepackage{makeidx}
  \usepackage{hyperref}
  \makeindex
  \begin{document}
  \section{Hello World}
  \index{hello|textbf}
  \printindex
  \end{document}

Works now automatically.

Previously it didn't work out of the box, manual intervention
is necessary:

  \newcommand*{\indexbf}[1]{\textbf{\hyperpage{#1}}}
  \index{hello|indexbf}

An andvanced user can manage this, but the |-part can be
hidden inside a package (see doc.sty). I tested with Makeindex
and thought it would be a subset of XIndy.
  However I don't want to go back (maintaining two versions;
another option -- there are already too many; much to document --
nobody has time for this, ...)

> It would be
> nice if one could support hypperref's index links, but that would
> be an enhancement, i.e., the introduction of a new feature
> `location class attributes'. For now, if one wants to use hyperref
> and xindy together, one has to turn off index links.

Perhaps it's easier to implement a mapping between
the full location argument and the location class?
Example:

  \indexentry{hello|hyperindexformat{\textbf}}{1}

Location class would be "textbf".

Yours sincerely
  Heiko Oberdiek