[tex-live] [Fwd: Re: TeXLive Perl + latexmk (windows)]

T T t34www at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 15 17:50:52 CEST 2010

On 15 April 2010 15:10, George N. White III <gnwiii at gmail.com> wrote:

> Some sites provide systems "pre-configured" with, e.g., WinEDT and some
> TeX system -- those users come away with the impression that WinEDT contains
> TeX.

It's a bit better these days as both TL and MiKTeX come with TeXworks
editor.  I consider this a big step forward usability-wise.

> It would be nice to have some documents or youtube videos that show
> the MS Office users how to format the publisher's sample, starting with
> installing a TeX distro.

There is video course a bit like that on CTAN, it's just not very well known:

http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/info/Math_into_LaTeX-4

> An important use case is  people who come to TeX because they want
> to use some 3rdparty tools (e.g., sagemath, building systems from source
> where the documentation comes in .tex form, etc.).  These all go beyond
> the normal bounds of a TeX distribution.   They tend to work smoothly on
> current  Apple or linux systems, but are not easy to achieve in (native)
> Windows.

But the user experience here is largely up to the developers of these
tools, no?  I don't see how we (TL) can improve things here.

Cheers,

Tomek