[tex-live] [Fwd: Re: TeXLive Perl + latexmk (windows)]

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Wed Apr 14 05:03:56 CEST 2010

On Mi, 14 Apr 2010, Diederick C. Niehorster wrote:
> The connection would not be the problem, I did run it over the command
> line at that time and then had no issue (also, its a connection from

Ok, good to know.

> After updating texlive.infra, I'm now applying the other 64 updates
> that were awaiting me. It started out fine, but now seems to show the
> same problem. When selecting the GUI, it does not seem to be redrawn,
> giving the illusion to be stuck. When view the process list, perl.exe
> and wget.exe seem to be running (I guess if a blocking call to wget is

wget.exe is running???? That is surprising ... with new tlmgr you should
not see wget running, but downloads should be done via one open
connection. Can you *before* starting the update turn on debugging
(Options->Debug) and copy the output in the log part?

There should be a persistent connection ...

For the no window updates this is a problem with the perl and that
we cannot use threads, so during wget running no updates to the GUI
are possible.

> made, that explains the GUI not refreshing). No processor activity for
> either over a few minutes, so I force-quitted and now ran it over the

Seems that wget was hanging!!

> command line, which was fast, matter of a few minutes, even only a few
> 10s of seconds for the 28MB pst-geo update.

Hmmmmm ... why on earth the gui is so much slower I don't know.

> If you can't reproduce this, it'll be hard to test. I cant exclude
> this is a psuchological phenomenon with the blocked GUI creating the
> impression of a stuck process, but the inactive but running wget.exe
> might point to something else.

Inactivity of the processor together with running wget seems to be
a sign that downloading does not work as expected, at least that is
what it seems ...

very strange.

If you can get a debug log and send it it *might* help.

Best wishes

Norbert
JAIST, Japan            TU Wien, Austria           Debian TeX Task Force
What are you talking about?
Never mind, eat the fruit.
You know, this place almost looks like the Garden of Eden.
Eat the fruit.
Sounds quite like it too.