[tex-live] Please don't assume case sensitive file system

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Wed Sep 30 10:14:03 CEST 2009

Heiko Oberdiek <oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 10:59:54PM +0200, Reinhard Kotucha wrote:
>
> > On 30 September 2009 Akira Kakuto wrote:
> >
> >  > In the directory trunk/Master/texmf-dist/doc/latex/bclogo/ of the
> >  > TL repository, there are files bcIcosaedre.eps, bcIcosaedre.pdf and
> >  > bcicosaedre.eps, bcicosaedre.pdf.
> >  >
> >  > Therefore, I cannot check out the Master due to a fatal error.
> >  > Please tell the author not to use such names.
> >
> > I suppose that Microsoft will support ASCII some day within the
> > next two or three decades.  Be patient. :)
>
> ISO 9660/ECMA-119 comes from Microsoft?

among others, yes.  ime, ecma was a joke: i only knew one person who
went to ecma meetings as a representative for a european-owned company,
though i presume people from companies like siemens would have fallen
into that category.

i don't know the history of iso 9660, but quite a few iso standards
started in ecma.

m$ destroyed the proposed standard on networked windowing systems, by
insisting that the standard should at most specify something at least as
feeble as windows 3.1 -- i was at that meeting.

(a standard that demands something so feeble that no-one in their right
mind would fail to achieve it, isn't worth devoting effort to.  i wasn't
the only one who failed to comprehend the argument that the standard
should "let the market decide".)

of course, none of this helps.  m$ would create immense pain by imposing
case sensitivity on a future windows file system, so it may well *never*
happen.

robin