[tex-live] Line endings, TeX & friends, TeX Live 2008/2009

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Sun Sep 27 02:27:37 CEST 2009

On 27 September 2009 Martin Schröder wrote:

 > 2009/9/26 Karl Berry <karl at freefriends.org>:
 > >    BTW Is it possible to increase the line length limit for *.log
 > >    files, or remove limit completely and leave it on viewers line wrap
 > >    option?
 > >
 > > Not by default, anyway.  It's important that .log files remain basically
 > > the same across platforms and over time, so that they can be compared.
 >
 > Increasing the limits of error_line etc. wouldn't harm that.
 >
 > > Internally, I don't think it would be all that easy to change only the
 > > log file, either.  Especially not to eliminate the line length limit.
 >
 > Being able to set error_line to e.g. 32k would probably be enough for
 > everybody. :-)

Hi Martin,
yes, things *can* be changed in texmf.cnf but I strongly agree with
Karl that default settings shouldn't be changed.

 > Increasing the limits of error_line etc. wouldn't harm that.

Such a change certainly breaks many existing scripts.

 > Being able to set error_line to e.g. 32k would probably be enough
 > for everybody. :-)

This is an unproved assumption.

    "640kb ought to be enough for anybody." (Bill Gates)

Such assumptions are always wrong.

People can overwrite the defaults in their scripts if necessary.
There is no need to touch the defaults.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25