[tex-live] Cannot typeset a greek text in XeTeX using the Greek Font Society fonts in texlive 2009

Will Robertson wspr81 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 26 05:10:43 CEST 2009

On 26/09/2009, at 4:08 AM, Christos Gitsis wrote:

> I cannot typeset a greek text in XeTeX using the Greek Font Society
> fonts in texlive 2009. The fonts are not found by xelatex.
>
> \setmainfont[Mapping=tex-text]{GFS Didot}

This is the syntax to load fonts that are installed in the operating
system. TeX Live does not install fonts in this way, simply making the
fonts available to users if they wish to use them. XeTeX allows you to
load fonts in the texmf tree with the following fontspec syntax: (note
that the bold/italic shapes are not automatically detected)

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{fontspec}
\setmainfont[ExternalLocation,
     ItalicFont=GFSDidotItalic.otf,
     BoldFont=GFSDidotBold.otf,
     BoldItalicFont=GFSDidotBoldItalic.otf
   ]{GFSDidot.otf}
\begin{document}
test \emph{test} \textbf{test \emph{test}}
\end{document}

Hope this helps,
Will