[tex-live] [OT?] bug from 2007 to 2009 with lucida fonts

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Mon Sep 21 13:46:40 CEST 2009

Norbert Preining <preining at logic.at> wrote:

> On So, 20 Sep 2009, Herbert Voss wrote:
> > no problem here with latest texlive 2009
>
> Bummer.
>
> >  lmrhlcm.fd    2005/11/28 v4.3 Lucida New Math Arrows (SPQR/DPC/TUG)
>
> I have updated to 4.3 of lucidavbr, had 4.2, but now, alas,...
>
> >    t1hlh.fd    2005/09/15 font definitions for T1/hlh (WaS/PCTeX/TUG)
>
> I don't have t1hlh ... where is it gone?
>
> That is a bit a pain.
>
> I though lucidabr from CTAN in psnfssx does ship all the
> necessary files, but it doesn't.

it used to, but when pctex took over they declared they were ceasing
support for pre-existing copies of the fonts.

the situation is not helped by the fact that walter schmidt has
disappeared from the face of the net (if not the earth).  iirc he
authored the current bundle on ctan, and was retained by pctex for the
new stuff).

> Where do you have the t1hlh.fd (and similar) from?

there's one of those on ctan:

2005/09/15 |        910 | fonts/psfonts/bh/lucida/macros/t1hlh.fd

fwiw, i've been doubtful for some time of the utility of lucida stuff on
ctan.  you always did get metrics and macros with a purchase of the
fonts; nowadays, i suspect you can't even use the stuff on ctan with a
newly-bought copy of the fonts, you _have_ use the stuff from pctex.

if that's the case, the validity of the support files in tl seems even
more compromised, to me.  (sure, they're free, but i don't doubt there's
a fair amount of free but useless stuff that tl doesn't hold.)

robin