[tex-live] [OT?] bug from 2007 to 2009 with lucida fonts

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Sun Sep 20 22:04:02 CEST 2009

Hi everyone,

Can someone explain me why when I take the following document:
\documentclass{beamer}
\usefonttheme{serif}
\usefonttheme{professionalfonts}
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage{lucidabr}
\begin{document}
\begin{frame}
\begin{itemize}
\item First
\item Second
\item Third
\end{itemize}
\end{frame}
\end{document}

and run it through TL2007 I get nice usual blue triangles as item markers,
and if I run it through TL2009 the triangles disappear.

This happens *only* when I load the lucidabr fonts.

I diffed the list of files used, and found that:
(from 2007 to 2009)
+atbegshi.sty
+bigintcalc.sty
+bitset.sty
+cmex7.tfm
+cmex8.tfm
+cmmi6.tfm
+cmmi8.tfm
+cmsy6.tfm
+cmsy8.tfm
+epstopdf-base.sty
+etexcmds.sty
+grfext.sty
-hlcrima.tfm
-hlcrv.tfm
-hlcry.tfm
+hycolor.sty
+ifluatex.sty
+ifpdf.sty
+ifvtex.sty
+ifxetex.sty
+infwarerr.sty
+intcalc.sty
+kvsetkeys.sty
+lbr.pfb
+msam10.tfm
-msam6.tfm
-msam8.tfm
+msam7.tfm
+msbm10.tfm
-msbm6.tfm
-msbm8.tfm
+msbm7.tfm
-omlhlcm.fd
-omshlcy.fd
-omxhlcv.fd
+pdftexcmds.sty
-supp-pdf.tex
+supp-pdf.mkii
+texfonts.map
+texmf.cnf
+xcolor-patch.sty

Using another document I see that also the following symbols are missing:
	= ( and )

Finally, the pdffonts info gives something different:
for 2007:
name                                 type              emb sub uni object ID
------------------------------------ ----------------- --- --- --- ---------
TCHXOG+LucidaNewMath-AltItalic       Type 1            yes yes no      37  0
LFONBY+LucidaBright                  Type 1            yes yes no      38  0

for 2009:
name                                 type              emb sub uni object ID
------------------------------------ ----------------- --- --- --- ---------
LFONBY+LucidaBright                  Type 1            yes yes no      36  0

Anyone any idea???

There was one more bug, namely that suddenly compiling broke due to
a smisisng
	lmrhlcm.fd
which was present in TL2007 in psnfssx. I have copied it from there
into my lucida package.

Is this a bug in the lucida package? Is this a bug somewhere else?
The code seems to me quite reasonable.

Thanks a lot and all the best

Norbert