[tex-live] ovp2ovf with VPL input

Lars Hellström Lars.Hellstrom at residenset.net
Tue Sep 15 11:47:06 CEST 2009

Lars Hellström skrev:
>   [hexley:~/tmp] lars% ovp2ovf test.ovp
>   line 1 (parsing): parse error
>   line 1 (internal): compute_ofm_character_info
>
> So, is this program just plain BROKEN or what?

It occurs to me that a more definite test of brokenness would be
whether ovp2ovf can process the output of ovf2ovp (which in the v2.0
series are really one and the same: an executable called omfonts). In
at least one very pertinent case, it can't:

[hexley:~/tmp] lars% ovf2ovp
/usr/local/texlive/2009/texmf-dist/fonts/ovf/public/cm-lgc/fcmrut.ovf
/usr/local/texlive/2009/texmf-dist/fonts/ofm/public/cm-lgc/fcmrut.ofm
fmcrut.ovp
[hexley:~/tmp] lars% ovp2ovf -verbose fmcrut.ovp
line 1 (parsing): parse error
line 1 (internal): compute_ofm_character_info

Still, it seems there has been some evolution of omfonts over the years
(or perhaps it is rather devolution?). In the first ovf2ovp+ovp2ovf
test I made, I accidentally used utilities from teTeX 3.0 (old terminal
window, so PATH not updated). There the results were rather

[hexley:~/tmp] lars% ovf2ovp
/usr/local/texlive/2009/texmf-dist/fonts/ovf/public/cm-lgc/fcmrut.ovf
/usr/local/texlive/2009/texmf-dist/fonts/ofm/public/cm-lgc/fcmrut.ofm
fmcrut.ovp
[hexley:~/tmp] lars% ovp2ovf -verbose fmcrut.ovp
line 23500 (warning): SEVENBITSAFEFLAG value specified TRUE; really FALSE
line 23500 (fatal): OFM level 1 not currently supported

Could it be that omfonts never attained the functionality level of the
old web-based tools? Why, then, did v2.0 replace v1.11 in the major
distro? Would it make sense to switch back to v1.11?

Another curious fact: the 2005 ovp2ovf is able to process the .ovp file
output by the 2009 ovf2ovp, since the 2009 interpretation says
(OFMLEVEL D 0) whereas the 2005 interpretation said (OFMLEVEL D 1). A
diff of the two generated OVP files suggests bugs in the 2005 ovf2ovp
(not understanding (SPECIAL ...)s, dropping some characters
altogether). The 2005 ovp2ovf regenerates the exact same OVF as is in
the TeXLive 2009 distro, but the OFMs are different (haven't checked
how different; they're the same length though).

Lars Hellström