[tex-live] TeX install CD vs. DVD

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Tue Sep 15 01:09:53 CEST 2009

Hi Gianluca,

    I am a long-time user of TeX and LaTeX, and I promote it
    among the students of Udine University, in Italy.

Great!

    With TeXLive 2008 we only got one double-layer DVD.
    Unfortunately, I have not been able to duplicate it.

How about this: download the protext.exe file from CTAN, unzip it (it's
just a zip file, despite the extension), and write that to your own DVD.
Then you don't have to mess with the big TeX Collection DVD.

You can get protext.exe from CTAN; see http://ctan.org/mirrors for the
list of the mirrors.  The one I see in Italy is in Rome, thus
http://ftp.uniRoma2.it/TeX/systems/win32/protext/protext.exe.

    So, please, this year make *CD* install disks,

Sorry, it's not going to happen.  protext doesn't fit on a CD.  (TL even
less so.)  You'd need to figure out yourself what to leave out, which
you probably don't want to do.

The only alternative I can see that would fit on an 800MB CD is to copy
the compressed protext.exe file.  That is currently about 750MB.

Hope this helps,
karl