[tex-live] Catalogue sources

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Fri Sep 11 01:19:53 CEST 2009

Karl Berry <karl at freefriends.org> wrote:

> On one of the many topics in your mail ...
>
>     * Package smflatex is listed with "catalogue-license nosource".
>
> Ah.  I wasn't aware of that category.  Checking for it now,
> and removing smflatex.

we get this quite often, actually: people docstrip something and then
reckon people don't need the .dtx

>     67 packages are listed with "catalogue-license noinfo" and
>
> Well, I'm not going to willy-nilly remove every package just because it
> is noinfo.  Each of them need to be investigated, authors contacted,
> etc.
>
>     a couple of packages (mkjobtexmf & texdirflatten) uwith
>     "catalogue-license artistic".
>
> My recollection is that they are both Artistic 2, ie, ok.

the licence statement in the readmes is confusing -- says something like
  "artistic/gpl, version 2"
which could also mean "artistic1/gpl2", i.e., not ok.

>     Should probably be checked before release...
>
> I check it every day in my cron job.

i check the catalogue itself, every day, in my cron jobs, too.  i could
flag things with texlive links that aren't ("officially") free, but
haven't bothered since karl seems to work 30-40 hours a day and beats me
to everything i might spot.

robin