[tex-live] Tex-live

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 11:24:26 CEST 2009

On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 5:39 AM, Robin
Fairbairns<Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> Edd Barrett <vext01 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 4:26 AM, Andrew Myers<andru at cs.cornell.edu> wrote:
>> > This is just too good... thanks for the quotable quote. My students will
>> > enjoy this!
>>
>> Going for each others throats isn't going to help here.
>
> hear, hear.
>
>> Was the network install no good for you?
>
> aiui, he wants to compile.  he found compilation of the lzma tools
> difficult (in some unspecified way).
>
> beyond that, i'm not sure what was wrong.
>
>> What platform/architecture are you on?
>
> he's on linux on something or other.
>
> is there no "config/make"-type path for the lzma tools?
>
> (personally, i heaved a sigh of relief when tetex went out of fashion so
> that _i_ no longer needed to struggle through rebuilding it for all our
> platforms.  i understand that \exist people who don't believe in anyone
> else's binaries, but i can't be doing with that, myself.)

Some organizations (those with bigger legal staffs than programmers) have
a policy that prevents installing binaries from entities you can't sue if
something goes wrong.    The thinking is not that open source will
protect you from the bad guys, but that the sources give you a better
chance of figuring out how the bad guys got to you.
Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia