[tex-live] Tex-live

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Tue Sep 8 02:28:36 CEST 2009

On 7 September 2009 Andrew Myers wrote:

 > I appreciate cool compression technology, but I doubt the bandwidth
 > difference is enough to make it worthwhile to inconvenience your
 > (potential) users. Shallow tool chains are important too! So my precise
 > suggestion is, distribute the tarballs compressed with bzip2. If lzma
 > isn't saving you 25% on top of bzip2, I don't think it's worth it. You
 > can always provide the lzma-compressed stuff too.

We had ZIP in the past and we switched to LZMA because it's 20% better.
bzip2 is useless because it's less efficient and horribly slow.

TeX Live provides all the tools it needs.  There are no
inconveniences.  I don't understand your problem.

A discussion is useless because the decision was made already and
nothing will be changed only because someone has other preferences.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25