[tex-live] Misplaced context files

T T t34www at googlemail.com
Fri Sep 4 13:13:36 CEST 2009

Hi Karl,

2009/9/4 Karl Berry <karl at freefriends.org>:
> Thanks for trying all those things.
> (I assumed cygwin tar will depend on cygwin*.dll, so won't help.)
>
>    I found another one from UnxUtils (v1.12).
>
> What was it based on, can you tell?

No idea, but it doesn't work anyway.

>    Anything else to try?
>
> Is there any chance of compiling the real tar source from
> http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/tar/tar-1.22.tar.gz ?  Probably not, I suppose.

I tried to compile sources from GNUwin32 project (tar 1.13) with
MinGW/MSYS. Unfotunately, ./configure + make doesn't work out of the
box and I have no idea how to fix it (all this make stuff is black
magic to me). I suspect it's a matter of a few switches here and
there, but I don't have the time to investigate that.

> Or search around for some Windows port of a current BSD tar?  They
> should have no problem with ustar.

There is a port of BSD tar from GNUwin32, but it has even more dll
dependencies than gnu tar. I haven't even tried it.

> Or the tar.exe in djgpp?  It probably has dll dependencies, though.

Tried that one as well. It's a static build and  --version says 1.12a.
It did handle long paths properly but failed to modify file time
stamps and returned with exit code 2 on my Vista :(

> Or maybe taking Akira's tar source (Master/source/tar-w32.zip) and
> updating it to current GNU tar?

I wouldn't even know where to start with this. But if Akira can patch
even the version we have now (as he said in another message), that
should be good enough I think.

> There has to be some usable tar for Windows!

I failed to find one so far :(

Cheers,

Tomek